Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The End of My Sidewalk

For the most part, I have led a pretty consistent life. The second oldest of a family of five girls, I was born and raised in the small town of Inlet, New York , relocating only once to "the next town over" where I had already attended high school and still reside, Old Forge. My routine as a high school student varied only trivially as my advanced courses, musical endeavors, extracurricular activities, and three seasons of sports kept me busy, yet hardly challenged me to a point where I did not know what I was doing or what I wanted to do. I have only dated one other person before my current boyfriend (the stunning Benjamin Russell) of nearly four years. Only now, have the pressures of finding a career, maintaining happiness, not settling, following my dreams, and making the decisions that will determine my future seemingly swept my familiar path away, like a final brushstroke of whiteout, leaving me a daunting blank page.

The inspiration for my blog came about in a sort of whirlwind of self-discovery and epiphany when I decided, just yesterday, to apply to graduate school for journalism and pursue a career as a writer. Despite the array of complaints I have made against the Elmira College Freshman Writing Program, it seems clear to me now that I have always loved writing and have often been praised for my ability. I truly respect the art of storytelling; it is a vital component of society that voices are heard and a gift to be able to present that story with exquisiteness.

In this blog, I will put my writing skills to the test and practice, writing about topics that come about in my journey beyond the sidewalk, that space in between a safe, secure, dependent child, and a responsible independent adult.

So here's to the First Amendment and the significance of my blog, may they help me build more sidewalk.

No comments:

Post a Comment